Can "surge", "soar" and "shoot up" go with "quickly/dramatically", "sharply/remarkably" and "considerably/suddenly"?

sula54

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

I read a book about IELTS writing. In this book, it uses phrases like "surge quickly/dramatically", "soar sharply/remarkably" and "shoot up considerably/suddenly." However, I think "surge", "soar" and "shoot up" all include the meaning of "a sudden and great increase". Is this OK to use them with "quickly/dramatically", "sharply/remarkably" and "considerably/suddenly"? Don't they sound quite redundant?

Thank you in advance for teaching me.

Dear teachers,

I read a book about IELTS writing. In this book, it uses phrases like "surge quickly/dramatically", "soar sharply/remarkably" and "shoot up considerably/suddenly." However, the I think "surge", "soar" and "shoot up" all include the meaning of "a sudden and great increase". Is this OK to use them with "quickly/dramatically", "sharply/remarkably" and "considerably/suddenly"? Don't they sound quite redundant?

[....................]
I agree. Those are redundant and annoying (probably).

I recommend that you don't overdo the use of adverbs.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back