[Grammar] Can "really" be used instead of "actually" as contrastive connective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blau

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Can "really" be used instead of "actually" as contrastive connective?

Good morning!

I am new to the forum...I would like to know if "really" may be used as contrastive intersentential connective like "actually".
For example, is the use of really in the following sentence correct?

With sky-high yields on Italian public bonds, which are a consequence of the planetary war among currencies against the euro, it could be reasonable to ask oneself why it should be pensions to have to "pick up the tab". Really (= actually), in between the leap from the broad, very broad, vision of aggressive swarms of international finance and the close-up look on Italy's welfare ledger, there is an anguished new reading that all of Europe carries out, has to carry out and is carrying out of its idea of welfare State.

Thank you very much for your help!

Re: Can "really" be used instead of "actually" as contrastive connective?

Good morning!

I am new to the forum...I would like to know if "really" may be used as contrastive intersentential connective like "actually".
For example, is the use of really in the following sentence correct?

With sky-high yields on Italian public bonds, which are a consequence of the planetary war among currencies against the euro, it could be reasonable to ask oneself why it should be pensions to have to "pick up the tab". Really (= actually), in between the leap from the broad, very broad, vision of aggressive swarms of international finance and the close-up look on Italy's welfare ledger, there is an anguished new reading that all of Europe carries out, has to carry out and is carrying out of its idea of welfare State.

Thank you very much for your help!
It's hard to see that either 'actually' or 'really' actually belong there, really.
When we start a sentence with "Actually", it's usually to indicate some qualification of what has been said previously. 'Really' is not typically used that way.

It's hard to see that either 'actually' or 'really' actually belong there, really.
When we start a sentence with "Actually", it's usually to indicate some qualification of what has been said previously. 'Really' is not typically used that way.

As I thought, so really is not used with contrastive meaning in initial position within the sentence...could you please provide me an official grammar reference to quote? I do not know how to explain (officially) that "really" does not belong there.

Thanks

As I thought, so really is not used with contrastive meaning in initial position within the sentence...could you please provide me an official grammar reference to quote? I do not know how to explain (officially) that "really" does not belong there.

Thanks
I've given no information that requires a reference. I doubt whether one exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back