Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to describe a store. Is it correct to say store exterior?

Is this correct and natural for this photo?

4545646.jpg

I was walking. To my right was a fancy Gucci shop. The store exterior was of a cold, white marble splashed by tinges of light gray. The Gucci logo was engraved on the marble and it was outlined and illuminated by an orange light.

I was walking. To my right was a fancy Gucci shop. The [STRIKE]store[/STRIKE] exterior was [STRIKE]of a[/STRIKE] cold, white marble splashed by tinges of light gray. The Gucci logo [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] engraved on the marble [STRIKE]and it[/STRIKE] was outlined and illuminated by an orange light.
Exterior is okay. Most likely is storefront. You can also say facade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shopfront/storefront is exactly it.

Engraved letters are letters carved into the marble. Those individual brass letters which stand out are called channel letters. The marble is Italian White Carrera marble.
Or perhaps only those in the trade use those terms.

Last edited:
Okay, what about now?

I was walking. To my right was a fancy Gucci shop. The storefront was cold, white marble splashed by tinges of light gray. The channel letters of the Gucci logo on the marble were illuminated by an orange light.

Would "channel letters" be commonly understood?

Is there another way I can describe the Gucci logo in the photo?

I have no idea what "channel letters" are.
Also, I'm not keen on your opening sentence, "I was walking". It's dull and doesn't grab my interest at all. Where were you? Where were you walking to/from?

Also, I'm not keen on your opening sentence, "I was walking". It's dull and doesn't grab my interest at all. Where were you? Where were you walking to/from?

How would you describe the Gucci logo in the picture?

4545646.jpg

I know the walking part needs improvement. I'll work on it.

I'd just say "the gold Gucci lettering".

Channel letters is the term that signmakers use. It is so called because the cross section of the letters takes the shape of a channel with a certain depth and not flat. I don't know how to put it in layman's terms. Three-dimensional letters?

I am quite familiar with terms used in building.

Last edited:
"The gold 3D Gucci lettering" would be OK but I don't really think it's important to know that the letters stand proud of the wall's surface.

I'd just say "the gold Gucci lettering".

Is this okay now?

To my right was a fancy Gucci shop. The storefront was cold, white marble splashed by tinges of light gray. The gold Gucci lettering was illuminated by an orange light.

Is this okay now?

To my right was a fancy Gucci shop. The storefront was clad in cold, white marble [STRIKE]splashed by tinges of[/STRIKE] permeated with light gray veins. The raised gold Gucci lettering on the marble above was[STRIKE] illuminated [/STRIKE] back-lit by [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] orange light.

I thought the light in the picture is white and not orange.

Storefront is AmE while shopfront is BrE.

I thought the light in the picture is white and not orange.

Storefront is AmE while shopfront is BrE.

Okay. I want to use splash.

Is this okay?

To my right was a fancy Gucci shop. The storefront was clad in cold, white marble splashed by tinges of light gray. The raised gold Gucci lettering on the marble was backlit by orange light.

Don't use "backlit by orange light". Using "lit" and "light" so close together is a bit awkward. You could use "backlit in orange".

Don't use "backlit by orange light". Using "lit" and "light" so close together is a bit awkward. You could use "backlit in orange".

Is this good?

To my right was a fancy Gucci shop. The storefront was clad in cold, white marble splashed by tinges of light gray. The raised gold Gucci lettering on the marble was backlit in orange.

I'd say splashed with.

Channel letters is the term that signmakers use. It is so called because the cross section of the letters takes the shape of a channel with a certain depth and not flat. I don't know how to put it in layman's terms. Three-dimensional letters?

I am quite familiar with terms used in building.
I've never heard it, but I'm sure it's a real term. And writers often use words readers aren't familiar with.

The picture isn't very clear. To me they look like raised letters.

The letters look raised because the back half of the letters is made of a transluscent material, probably perspex, to allow light to shine through from within.

I wouldn't describe a natural thing like marble veins as something that is splashed on.

I wouldn't describe a natural thing like marble veins as something that is splashed on.

I think that The storefront was clad in cold, white marble splashed with tinges of light gray is an effective description of that.

Last edited:
I think that The storefront was clad in cold, white marble splashed with tinges of light grayis an effective description of that.

Metaphors can be used to describe anything of course, but 'splashed on' tends to imply something is applied on, superficial, rather than innate and deep-seated as marble veins are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back