Can I refer specific subject by order of words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
"I got two As and one B in economics, astronomy and math."

Is this sentence mean "I got As in economics and astronomy. And I got B in math", or
"There is two As and one B among economics, astronomy and math"?

"I got As in economics and astronomy. And I got B in math"

That's the way I would read it.

And it's "Does this sentence mean..." not "Is..."

"I got two As and one B in economics, astronomy and math."(original sentence)
So, does sentence above(original sentence) mean
"I got As in economics and astronomy. And I got B in math"?

That is the way I would read it. If that is not what is meant, then write it in a clearer way. There is some potential for ambiguity, but I believe most people would assume, like I did, that the grades and classes are given in the same order.

If you add the word "respsctively" to the end of your sentence, then you know the two As go with the first two things mentioned and the B goes with the third thing mentioned.

I would, however, find it easier to understand if you say "I got As in economics and astronomy and a B in math."

I think the longer the list, the less likely it is that they're in the same order.

For example, at "O Level" (exams at age 16), I took English Language, English Literature, Maths, French, German, History, Music and Typing. I got 2 As, 4 Bs, 1 C and a RSAII (Distinction). Anyone who knows the English school system will probably know that the only one of those grades which is immediately connectable to a subject is RSAII (Distinction) and Typing. The other seven subjects I took could be connected to any one of the seven grades and if I'm honest, I can't remember exactly which were which. It was a long time ago!

You can also use the word 'respectively' here

Perhaps it was meant about mine, which ALMOST uses the word "respectively."

If you add the word "respsctively" to the end of your sentence, then you know the two As go with the first two things mentioned and the B goes with the third thing mentioned.

The Typo Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back