[General] Can I improve my English listening with podcasts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I am studying English alone, because I don't have money (English schools are too expensive here) to make an English course and time to that.
I am focused in my listening, because is the most important skill to learn a new language, and I'm liking it, I'm improving more my listening, and it helps in my speaking too. For traine my listening, I download podcasts on the BBC Learning English site (a great website, with podcasts, idioms, important things, and others), I send it to my cell phone and I listen it several times, until I get decorate, and I listen again without the text from what is being talked, and I get to understand almost all, about 95% of the podcasts. I don't do just it, I also study the grammar, I write texts, read american books, I also started to know the american culture and the most popular foods, and because I don't have nobody to make conversations, I talk to myself. I always want to get a big contact with the English!

I'd like to know if that could helps in my listening (and in my speaking, because listening English, I get to know how one word is
pronounced)

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES!

Last edited:
Oh, that should definitely help. I'm not British by nationality, so I can tell you that listening to programs brodcast in English is a great solution to improve your speaking and obviously listening skills. You could also try playing a 'copycat' - I mean repeating the words that you can hear while listening. Since you often use your mobile to playback the podcasts, that should be easy to do with the pause button. :-D

Oh, that should definitely help. I'm not British by nationality, so I can tell you that listening to programs brodcast in English is a great solution to improve your speaking and obviously listening skills. :-D

I will try to do it. I need to learn English, to learn Italian after.

What you're doing will definitely help you.

PS until I get decorate do you mean learn/know off by heart? I think you may be translating there and using a false friend. :up:

I think you may be translating there and using a false friend. :up:

No, I don't use translators more. When I didn't study English I used it, but I don't need translators more. I have an intermediate vocabulary and a basic grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back