Can I get 25 cent coins in exchange for $100 bill because I want to use that machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can I get 25 cent coins in exchange for $100 bill because I want to use that machine at the corner and I need to insert a 25 cent coin in it to use it?

Please check my sentence.

It's far too wordy, as is often the case with your posts.

Can you give me a hundred dollars in quarters for the machine in the corner?

(I hope you've got really big pockets or a huge bag to put all those coins in!)

If it's in the US, we wouldn't say "25-cent coin(s)"; we would say "quarter(s)."

It's far too wordy, as is often the case with your posts.

Can you give me a hundred dollars in quarters for the machine in the corner?

(I hope you've got really big pockets or a huge bag to put all those coins in!)

What to say if I want 50 cents insead?

What to say if I want 50 cents insead?
Fifty-cent coins are called half dollars in the United States. They are hardly every used nowadays. When they were used, I would have asked for a hundred dollars in half dollars. I suppose that when they circulated a lot, someone might have asked for ​a hundred dollars in halves.

What [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I/should I say if I want 50-cent coins/pieces instead?

Tufguy, you have definitely been on this forum long enough to know that we don't start questions with "How to".

Tufguy, you have definitely been on this forum long enough to know that we don't start questions with "How to".
... or What to.

Fifty-cent coins are called half dollars in the United States. They are hardly every used nowadays.

I was surprised when I found out that the two-dollar note was a real thing and not a forgery.

I was surprised when I found out that the two-dollar note was a real thing and not a forgery.
Two-dollar bills have never circulated much in my lifetime, but half dollars were quite common in my childhood. They were heavy silver coins and quite beautiful.

I saw one in Cambodia and checked. Apparently, two-dollar bills were or are often used in American bases overseas, so that the local community realises the economic benefit of having the base.

I saw one in Cambodia and checked. Apparently, two-dollar bills were or are often used in American bases overseas, so that the local community realises the economic benefit of having the base.

I've heard they're often given in change at strip clubs to encourage bigger tips.

There are often many of those around bases too.

During some summer travel earlier in the year, I stopped by a roadside stand selling peaches . Much to my surprise, my change was all in $2 bills.

Since their prices included the tax and one size box was $12 (or maybe it was $14), people often gave them a twenty. I suppose they found it more convenient to hand back $2 bills instead of counting out fives and ones.

I've kept a $2 bill in my wallet for novelty's sake anyway for many, many years, but they had enough change remaining the lady agreed to swap me a twenty for ten more $2 bills. :lol:

Last edited:
Fifty-cent coins are called half dollars in the United States. They are hardly every used nowadays.

Venturing off topic here, but speaking as an American, I really don't understand what it is about us and our rejection of larger denomination coins. We're completely okay with piddling about with insipid small change, but refuse to use anything larger than a quarter. The Susan B.'s and the Sacajawea dollar just never caught on beyond collectors, and as you said, the days of the half-dollar are gone as well. It's like we don't consider it 'real' money if it's not paper.

I've traveled to some countries that utilize complete unit coins to compliment fractional coins, and have always enjoyed being able to make small to medium purchases with pocket change. Try buying a beer or a burger with American coins and you'll only annoy everyone involved, including yourself. I particularly enjoyed that 5 DM coin in Germany.

Although I admit it was vexing losing a pocketful of change on a Canadian roller coaster once. Had I been stateside, I'd have only been out probably a buck or less, but I was trying to collect as many toonies as I could, and lost a significant amount of money while upside down....

/rant

Last edited:
I really don't understand what it is about us and our rejection of larger domination coins. We're completely okay with piddling about with insipid small change, but refuse to use anything larger than a quarter. The Susan B.'s and the Sacajawea dollar just never caught on beyond collectors, and as you said, the days of the half-dollar are gone as well. It's like we don't consider it 'real' money if it's not paper.
My brother, who works in banking law, explained this to me. Banks have to pay for shipping coins, but the Federal Reserve pays this cost for bills. Thus banking lobbies work hard to keep the dollar bill alive. As long as we have our absurdly low-valued singles, it's unlikely we'll adopt dollar coins—people just don't like change, no pun intended.

A rational outsider might ask why the freight bills are divided like that and why it can't be changed. The answer is that our bureaucratic systems are extremely sclerotic and have been for decades, long before our legislature largely succumbed to gridlock.

Still off-topic but those of you who like small change would have a great time in the UK. The smallest note (bill) we have is £5 (currently worth about US$6.35). We have eight coins for you to play with: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2. (p = pence = 1/100 of £1)

Still off-topic but those of you who like small change would have a great time in the UK. The smallest note (bill) we have is £5 (currently worth about US$6.35). We have eight coins for you to play with: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2. (p = pence = 1/100 of £1)
I haven't seen many £2 coins in circulation. Have they gotten more common over the years?

When I first visited England as a boy, half penny, penny, threepence, sixpence, shilling, florin, and half crown coins were all circulating. The smallest note was ten shillings, and a five-pound note was a vast document resembling a birth certificate that was blank on the back. I received pennies with Queen Victoria's portrait on them, so this was a while ago. :) I guess Brits have been accustomed to a wide variety of pocket change for a long time!

The values of the non-obvious coins in old pence were 12d (shilling), 24d (florin, worth 2/- or two shillings), and 30d (half crown, 2/6 or two shillings sixpence. Although crown coins existed in commemorative sets, they didn't circulate.)

Last edited:
£2 coins are as common as all the others now.

They were, however, legal tender, as was, until 1960, the farthing - one quarter of a penny, 1/960 of a pound.

I remember spending farthings. I also remember, in the 1950s, one or two customers in my grandfather's newsagent's shop paying their delivery bill with a crown.
That must have been a thrill! Maybe they dipped into their Maundy money.

I actually received a farthing in change in Dayton, Ohio a few years ago. Not a British one though; it was South African, and nearly exactly the size of an American penny. How it found its way into someone's change drawer is a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back