Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Hi
Me and my friend are in an argument over the following conversation..

Me: Are you still home?
Friend: Sure.

Is this correct? Can he use the word 'sure' in this case? I believe that's wrong but he thinks that is right. Could someone please confirm if he could use 'sure' here.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. A_Woman.

Yes — that's fine in casual conversation.

Welcome to the forum. Say My friend and I are in an argument. You wouldn't say Me am in an argument, and you use the same subject pronoun regardless of any other words that come between it and the verb.

There's nothing grammatically wrong with saying I and a friend, but we virtually always put ourselves second in this kind of construction.

Welcome to the forum. A_Woman.

Yes — that's fine in casual conversation.

I thought you could use sure when you indicate a confirmation.. like "Could you do something for me?", the reply would be "sure". But in case of "Are you home?", the simple "yes" is more appropriate. Please correct me if i am wrong

I agree with you. I find "Sure" a very strange answer to "Are you home?", regardless of how casual the conversation is. It would be fine as a response to "Can I come round to see you?" or "Shall we go out for dinner this evening?"

I thought you could use sure when you indicate a confirmation.. like "Could you do something for me?", the reply would be "sure". But in case of "Are you home?", the simple "yes" is more appropriate. Please correct me if i am wrong

Yes, you're exactly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back