can "comprise" and "involve" be followed by -ing form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

1. The main scope of repair comprises repairing steel structure of the hull, including components made of copper.
  2. The ship’s repair also involves repairing pipes in the engine room and rewinding the engine.

Are these sentences understandable to you and can "comprises" and "involves" be followed by -ing form?

Both the verbs followed by -ing form mean "consist of" and "embrace, cover" and they may as well be replaced by "include".

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sentence 2 works. I wouldn't use sentence 1.

I agree with GoesStation.

You misspelt "engine" and "form".

I stand corrected. As for sentence No.1, what is wrong with it? Are there too many -ing forms in the sentence and would it be better to write "The main scope of repair comprises the repair of steel structure of the hull, including components made of copper or is a wrong verb used?

I stand corrected. As for sentence No.1, what is wrong with it? Are there too many -ing forms in the sentence and would it be better to write "The main scope of repair comprises the repair of steel structure of the hull, including components made of copper or is a wrong verb used?

Comprises has to be followed by a list of at least two nouns or noun phrases.

Do you not agree with me about the verb? What is your suggestion? How about using "entails" or "covers" or "includes"?

My first choice would be includes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back