Can 'claim' and 'conclude' mean the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I found the following sentences:
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]It is too early for us to conclude anything.
Hunter Biden claims Russian drug dealers stole another one of his laptops for blackmail while he was drugged out in a Vegas hotel room in 2018.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Can I write the following?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is too early for us to claim anything.
Hunter Biden concluded Russian drug dealers stole another one of his laptops.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Claim and conclude do not have the same meaning. Look up the two words in a couple of the dictionaries at www.onelook.com

So, my sentences above are incorrect?

I didn't say that.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't say that.

You are very mysterious. :)

Is there a big difference between:
It is too early for us to conclude anything. and It is too early for us to claim anything.
Hunter Biden claims Russian drug dealers stole another one of his laptops. and

So, are my sentences above [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] incorrect?

You are very mysterious. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

Is there a big difference between the following?

It is too early for us to conclude anything. and It is too early for us to claim anything.
Hunter Biden claims Russian drug dealers stole another one of his laptops. and

There is nothing mysterious about 5jj's response. You asked if two sentences, one using "claim" and one using "conclude" mean the same. 5jj's response was very clear - the two words do not mean the same and you should look them up in a good dictionary in order to study the difference between them. He did not suggest at all that the sentences were incorrect.

Your exchange is like me saying this:

emsr2d2: Do "I have a cat" and "I have a dog" mean the same thing?
5jj: No. A cat and a dog aren't the same thing. Look them up in a dictionary.
emsr2d2: From your answer, I conclude that "I have a cat" and "I have a dog" are not grammatically correct.

I'm sure you can see that there is no basis at all for me to think they're grammatically incorrect.

OK, I checked out Oxford Dictionary and Cambridge Dictionary and wasn't sure the difference therefore I asked.

OK, I checked out Oxford Dictionary and Cambridge Dictionary, and I wasn't sure about the differences between them, and therefore I asked my question.

The real mystery here is why you think it's a good idea to exchange the words for each other.

If I say Hunter Biden "claimed" something you can rightly conclude that I don't have much faith in what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back