Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
i been heering a lot of " i guess" phrares like i guess i will see you soon or
i guess you can come. does make a difference if you don`t say i guess in those
two sentences. and more more thing. i asked my english speaking friend to do something for me. and he was like "i guess", i know what he means but i don`t know exactly. when some one replies saying i guess do they mean they are not willing to do it and rather not do than do it.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) You have asked a very interesting question. I am eager to see the answers that

you get.

(2) You go to a restaurant and meet someone who is in your math class. You are not

friends. But you two have seen each other in class for two months.

You: I'm in Professor Smith's class.
Tom: I know. I've seen you.
You: Do you come here often?
Tom: Maybe two or three times a month.
You: Well, it was nice meeting you.
Tom: Me, too. I guess I'll see you around. = Maybe there is the possibility that we will meet again since we both seem to like this restaurant and are in the same class.

The Parser: I hear you are having a party tonight.
You: That's right.
The Parser: I did not get an invitation.
You: Oh, I'm sorry! My apartment is very small, so the manager will let me invite only 10 people.
The Parser: I really have nothing to do tonight.
You: Is that right!
The Parser: Is it OK if I drop by your party tonight for just a few minutes.
You: I guess so. = You don't want to hurt the Parser's feelings, so if he comes, you will not make him leave.

chriskim, I wrote after your first post last week: "please use capital letters for the first person pronoun and the first word of a sentence".

If you want us to help you, please make some effort to write correct English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back