Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hey
It is known that CAE (Cambridge certificate of advanced English) is cheaper than IELTS.
Moreover, CAE is valid for a whole life. On the other side, IELTS expires after 2 years. As you see, there are 2 advantages for CAE: money, and time. I saw in some websites that CAE is valid in all European countries. My question is that why IELTS is mode these days? Everyone goes and take IELTS in order to immigrate, work, or study. Are people silly? Why is IELTS more popular?

Which one should I choose? :)

IELTS is widely used for gaining entry to universities for courses in English. If you are looking for a qualification to show your ability at English, for work, etc, then CAE is fine.

Hey.

It is known that CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English) is cheaper than IELTS.

Moreover, CAE is valid for [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] one's whole life. On the other [STRIKE]side[/STRIKE] hand, IELTS expires after [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] two years. As you can see, there are [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] two advantages [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to CAE: money (no comma here) and time. I saw [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on some websites that CAE is valid in all European countries. My question is [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] why is IELTS [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]mode[/STRIKE] fashionable/popular/trendy these days? Everyone goes and takes IELTS in order to immigrate, work, or study. Are people silly? Why is IELTS more popular?

Which one should I choose? :)

Note my corrections above.

Many employers will accept it on a CV regardless of date, though.

So, you say I should take IELTS because CAE is not enough for the European universities?!

Universities can set the own requirements, so check with them first. Most European Universities will accept IELTS, but check the grade required.

My question is that why IELTS is mode these days? Everyone goes and take IELTS in order to immigrate, work, or study. Are people silly? Why is IELTS more popular?

In my plentiful experience of teaching for IELTS, the vast majority of people who take the exam take it because they are required to do so, either by their employers or as a condition for entry to university. In fact, I can't remember ever meeting anyone who wanted to do the exam without having been asked to.

I believe that the Cambridge Advanced (formerly CAE) is also widely accepted among UK university admissions departments these days, where before only IELTS would have been satisfactory.

I plan to take the IELTS test in order to immigrate to New Zealand and naturally checked what is stated about English tests. The visa requirements, in my case, allow the test results to be up to 2 years old. I imagine that immigration laws of other countries include similar constraints. Hence, people, who plan to migrate, do not necessarily benefit from a lifelong-valid test.

The costs can be lower, true. But you have to consider where the test centres are located and add respective travel costs to the nearest centre before you can compare the total costs for both systems.

Moreover, the tests are conducted differently. Some people feel more comfortable with the shorter test period of the IELTS test or prefer to be on their own for the speaking test, instead of partner-up with someone as it is done in the CAE test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back