Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I have posted the following question on another forum before, but I still don't quite understand. Would you please help me?
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/c-yes-she-didnt-d-no-she-did.3940090/#post-20170898
(7) Didn't Sue steal the cookies?
a. Yes, she did.
b. No, she didn't.
c. *Yes, she didn't.
d. *No, she did.
(9) Did Sue not steal the cookies?
a. Yes, she did.
b. No, she didn't.
c. Yes, she didn't.
d. No, she did.
According to the link below, in (7) only a and b are correct and in (8) a, b, c, and d are all correct.
Do native speakers agree with what is taught in the link?
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Gossiping/M.1653731764.A.D12.html

The second question should be numbered (8), not (9).

I don't have anything useful to add to to the responses given at WRF, I'm afraid.

Question 9 is a terrible question.

The person who wrote the question is trying to get at something like this:

Did Sue not call you?

I imagine the speaker here to be asking for clarification of whether Sue called you, as expressed by the interrogative question form. The word not is a way to show that the speaker has a reason to believe that she didn't. It might also add a sense of surprise or disdain.

If Sue didn't call you, you'd answer in the negative: No. If she did, you'd say: Yes.

In response to "Did Sue not call you?", you might hear "No. She did". It's separated into two sentences (rather than "No, she did") because "No" makes it clear that "Sue did not call you" is incorrect, then "She did" clarifies the situation, meaning "She did call me".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back