Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
I am reading the following context and I am a little cinfused. Does "the audience" refer to the people in the real world or does it refer to people who were in her vision?

Mrs. E. A. Cannock, a well-known London clairvoyant, described at a Spiritualist meeting how a number of deceased soldiers adopted a novel and convincing method of making known their identity. The soldiers (as seen in her clairvoyant vision) advanced in single file up the aisle, led by a young lieutenant. Each man bore on his chest what appeared to be a large placard on which was written his name and the place where he had lived on earth. Mrs. Cannock was able to read these names and descriptions, and they were all identified by various members of the audience. A curious feature was that as each name was recognized the spirit form faded away, thus making way for the one who was following.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

He means the audience at the meeting there the soldiers supposedly appeared.

I don't think that's the word you meant to type.

I don't think that's the word you meant to type.
PeterCW, please correct the error in message #2. We expect native speakers — especially former editors — to post with a minimum of errors and to correct them when they're pointed out.

Hi
I am reading the following passage, and I am a little confused. Does "the audience" refer to the people in the real world or does it refer to people who were in her vision? . . .
It was a live audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back