Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers make a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.

Dear teachers,

The quote is taken from my textbook. Now I just want to know whether I can use in support of to substitute for by supporting without changing its meaning, because , to me, they are possibly interchangeable, but I am not sure if there is semantic nuance between them. Could you kindly clarify it to me? Thanks.

LQZ

Dear teachers,

The quote is taken from my textbook. Now I just want to know whether I can use in support of to substitute for by supporting without changing its meaning, because , to me, they are possibly interchangeable, but I am not sure if there is semantic nuance between them. Could you kindly clarify it to me? Thanks.

LQZ
No, they mean different things.
1) The Somali people raised money by supporting piracy.
(Pirates gave them money.)
2) The Somali people raised money in support of piracy.
(They gave the pirates money).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back