Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The phrase "butted heads to establish dominance" gives me the impression that the two competitors would dominate the group together in a cooperative manner.

But the rule of the game of butting heads is winner takes all. A victor will be produced among the competitors.

If I wrote it, I would write "butted heads to win the dominance..."

What does the phrase actually imply?

=================
butt heads 1. Literally, to knock heads together, as of rams or sheep. The two male rams fiercely butted heads to establish dominance among the group.

Source:
[h=2]Butt heads - Idioms by The Free Dictionary[/h]

You've got the literal meaning of "butt heads" but it's used metaphorically to refer to any two (or more) people who are physically, verbally or in some other way, fighting/competing. I regularly butt heads with my mother on the topic of politics. Obviously, we don't actually headbutt each other, but we argue loudly and passionately.

The second definition in your link (the "heated confrontation" part really) is the one that's being used. The original phrase means that the competitors will go up against each other, one of them finally being dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back