But upon my word I sometimes have had moments when if I had happened to be slapped in

Status
Not open for further replies.

svidrigaylov

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
But upon my word I sometimes have had moments when if I had happened to be slapped in the face I should, perhaps, have been positively glad of it.

Could you explain the sentence grammatically?

Source: Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevesky

Last edited:
But upon my word I sometimes have had moments when if I had happened to be slapped in the face I should, perhaps, have been positively glad of it.

Could you explain the sentence grammatically?

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]quoted from[/STRIKE] Source: Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Which particular parts of that sentence are causing you problems?

Please note my corrections above. I made the same corrections to another of your posts recently. Please take notice of our advice. Do not thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

When you give the source, write "Source:" and follow it with the title of the publication and the full name of the author.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't understand 'if' after coming 'when'.I thought 'when' as an relative clause, isn't it?

I didn't understand 'if' coming after [STRIKE]coming[/STRIKE] 'when'. space here I thought 'when' was [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a relative clause. [STRIKE]isn't it?[/STRIKE] Am I wrong?

Does my added punctuation below help you to make sense of it?

But upon my word I sometimes have had moments when, if I had happened to be slapped in the face, I should, perhaps, have been positively glad of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back