[Grammar] but in negative sentece

• Thread starter vaibhavmaskar
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,877
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vaibhavmaskar

I never take a bath "but" the phone rings or someone knocks at the door.

Is it right to replace "beacuse" in place of "but" for similary meaning?

I never take a bath "but" the phone rings or someone knocks at the door.

Is it right to [strike]replace[/strike] write/say/put "[strike]beacuse[/strike] because" in place of "but" for [strike]similary[/strike] a similar meaning?

No. The original means "Every time I get in the bath, the phone rings or someone knocks on the door". It's clearly very inconvenient and a huge coincidence!
Your version with "because" would mean "I never have a bath. The reason for that is that someone phones or knocks on the door".

No, the meanings are not the same. Your sentence means, "I can never take a bath without the phone ringing or someone knocking on the door." Whenever I take a bath, someone invariably knocks on the door, or the phone rings.
The speaker is not saying that he never takes a bath - and I think it's best expressed as "I can never take a bath..." Of course, the speaker is using hyperbole. He does not really expect you to believe that this always happens.

Last edited:
The construction with "but" would be uncommon in AmE. I would say:

I can never take a bath "without" the phone ringing or someone knocking at the door.

or

Whenever I take a bath,
the phone rings or someone knocks at the door.

It's not very common in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back