But, I am optimistic and a glass half full, and always try to keep a positive perspec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
Is the following correct? I wrote it myself.

Making this choice was not easy. I went through a hard time. It was a real struggle, as I first had to wrestle a lot with my inner self and then convince myself. I knew that this would affect my whole life both positively and negatively. But, I am optimistic and see a glass half full, and always try to keep a positive perspective in life.

Is the following correct? I wrote it myself.

Making this choice was not easy. I went through a hard time. It was a real struggle, as I first had to wrestle a lot with my inner self and then convince myself. (Convince yourself of what?) I knew that it would affect my whole life both positively and negatively. But (No comma here) I am optimistic and see a glass half full, and always try to keep a positive perspective on life.

Please note corrections.

(Convince yourself of what?)
The following paragraph came first:

A particular decision that was extremely important to me was the one to further my studies beyond my bachelor's degree abroad, especially in an English-speaking country. That was a tough decision, because I needed to consider all the possible aspects of living alone in a foreign country, including living costs, housing, homesickness, climate, tuition fees, the university's reputation, and career opportunities.

Is there any difference between "this" and "it" here?

I had to go back to the first post to be able to figure out what you said in the last one. Now I am certain that "convince" doesn't work at all. Perhaps:

I weighed all the factors and then made a decision.

Or:

I took everything into consideration and then made a decision.

Also, it should be:

Making that choice was not easy.

As for it, that refers to the decision. (Explaining why it should be "it" and not "this" would take more work than I am willing to do.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back