... but essential aspect to/in/for/of understanding why the events were so devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alialiice

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi there! For some reason this has really stumped me. I don't know which of the following is correct. Some just don't sound right and I am not sure why, others do but seem kind of wrong. "aspect in" sounds the most correct to me but I am not sure why. Any help appreciated :)

1. The abuse they suffered is an upsetting but essential aspect to understanding why the events were so devastating.
2. The abuse they suffered is an upsetting but essential aspect in understanding why the events were so devastating.
3. The abuse they suffered is an upsetting but essential aspect for understanding why the events were so devastating.
4. The abuse they suffered is an upsetting but essential aspect of understanding why the events were so devastating.

Hi there, and welcome. :)
Can you tell us the source of those sentences please?

Hi there, and welcome. :)
Can you tell us the source of those sentences please?
Hi! They are sample sentences I wrote similar to the sentence I will be using in an essay.

I suggest you rephrase the sentence. For example:
The abuse they suffered is upsetting, but it is essential to understanding why the events were so devastating.
You could use "an essential aspect" instead of just "essential" in that sentence, but I prefer the shorter version.

The preposition of is the best one in the original sentence. However, I strongly agree with teechar that you should rephrase the sentence.

I suggest you rephrase the sentence. For example:
The abuse they suffered is upsetting, but it is essential to understanding why the events were so devastating.
You could use "an essential aspect" instead of just "essential" in that sentence, but I prefer the shorter version.
Thank you so much for your help!

@alialiice Please note that there is no need to add a post to a thread in order to thank anyone. Simply add the "Thanks" icon to any helpful response. (Put the cursor over the "Like" button and you will see the "Thanks" option appear.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back