Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

The "Let's Move" campaign involves many sectors and partnerships, but one of the lighter programs involves sporting events held on the south lawn of the White House. For this one, six players from the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team showed the youngsters some drills on the grass. It was a special privilege and a thrill for the budding players.

What does "a thrill for the budding players" mean?

Thanks a lot

Does it mean "it is an excitement for the Women's National Soccer Team"?

Hi,

The "Let's Move" campaign involves many sectors and partnerships, but one of the lighter programs involves sporting events held on the south lawn of the White House. For this one, six players from the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team showed the youngsters some drills on the grass. It was a special privilege and a thrill for the budding players.

What does "a thrill for the budding players" mean?

Thanks a lot

Does it mean "it is an excitement for the Women's National Soccer Team"?

No. The "budding players" are the young people who were being given the demonstration. "Budding" means young, not yet mature, still learning. With sportspeople we sometimes say someone is a "budding champion".

The 'younsters' are the budding players. It implies that they have a lot of potential to be good (or even great) players, but haven't reached that potential yet.

Picture a perennial flowering plant.
Before it blooms, a flower bud appears. The bud grows and develops on the plant. The plant is budding and will, given time, nutrition and proper sunlight, bloom and flower for the requisite amount of time before the flower dies and the process repeats itself.
Budding players (athletes) are just starting to take form, and with proper instruction will, hopefully, mature into good players.

John

So the thrill means "excitement"?

So the thrill means "excitement"?

Yes, a "thrill" is something that makes you excited. Did you look up "thrill" as a noun in your dictionary?

Sure, that's why when I asked the question, I gave my answer. I just don't feel certain about my own discretion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back