Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Relying on such amateurs can be dangerous. Medical opinion varies about when it's necessary to treat hypertension. Blood pressure may change widely over the course of a day, with emotional and physical stress, with the measuring device and how it's used. Proper diagnosis requires a doctor's interpretation of several readings. There might be value to a blood pressure check that doesn't require an office visit - but only if the person taking the reading knows when to tell the subject to see a doctor. A city licensing procedure could make sure they do, and provide the legal basis for keeping phonies off the street. Why is there no such procedure? A spokesman for the Department of Consumer Affairs bucks the question over to the Department of Health. A Health spokesman, citing a legal opinion that giving a blood pressure reading without interpretation isn't medical practice, bucks it back to Consumer Affairs. Worms to both agencies for ducking so obvious a responsibility to protect the public.
https://www.nytimes.com/1983/08/21/opinion/the-worm-and-the-apple-congested-arteries.html
In the above passage, does the verb "buck" mean "to pass especially from one person to another"?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buck

I'm not familiar with that use of "buck" but in this context it clearly means "pass".

I guess the meaning of "buck" in this context is similar to the expression "pass the buck".

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that use of "buck" ...
Neither am I. Dictionaries here say this usage is more likely to be found in American English.

Seems odd to me, too. I'm only used to seeing "buck" as a verb in "buck the trend," which has nothing to do with passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back