Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Was watching an episode of Top Gear tonight and one of the hosts said "Well there's a flappy chap!" ...at least I think that's what he said- "flappy chap."

What does this 'translate' to in American English? Maybe 'happy guy' or something?

Thanks!

The 7th entry, actually, doesn't fit here at all, but I am also curious what this means.

If you're in a flap,l you're angry or excited- could it have meant that?

If not, could it have been flabby (fat/chubby)?

The 7th entry, actually, doesn't fit here at all, but I am also curious what this means.

It really doesn't. It should be either "nervous" or "fleshy".

Or could it have something to do with the guy's ears?

I'm just wondering... Could I post the video on this thread that the phrase comes from? I browsed the forum rules and I didn't see anything on posting videos. I may have overlooked it, if anything is there... Just thought I'd ask before I post.

No- people post links to videos, but you can only post links when you have posted ten times. If you put the link up with spaces, I will repost it as a working link. I am afraid we have to do this to reduce the amount of spam and advertising that people try to post.

There are three presenters on that show. who spend a lot of time making personal comments about each other. Two of them could be said to have flappy ears, and one of those could be wearing loose trousers. The other could be called 'flappy' in the unusual but understandable sense of 'likely to get into a flap'. So all in all, the words aren't surprising. ;-)

b

There are three presenters on that show. who spend a lot of time making personal comments about each other. Two of them could be said to have flappy ears, and one of those could be wearing loose trousers. The other could be called 'flappy' in the unusual but understandable sense of 'likely to get into a flap'. So all in all, the words aren't surprising. ;-)

Are you talking about the same show?
I am afraid all of this makes it only more confusing. :cool:
And you mean "flap" as in "argument"?

Are you talking about the same show?
I am afraid all of this makes it only more confusing. :cool:
And you mean "flap" as in "argument"?
Yes - Top Gear, cars, un-PC banter (Jeremy Clarkson got into trouble last week talking about the public-sector strikes last week on another show: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...sg=AFQjCNEyGpMXYfk8OPOmebc48y8vGMy2Qg&cad=rja)...

And I don't mean 'flap' as in 'argument' - which is an extended usage because an argument often causes a disturbance. I mean 'flap' as in 'kerfuffle'/'tizz'/ 'unmanly [in the view of Jermy Clarkson] state of indecision'. (For Clarkson, the ultimate insult is 'girlie'.)

b

To be honest, this idea crossed my mind when I was reading the 7th entry article on that website I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back