Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello!

I am trying to improve my writing skills. I will be grateful If you can correct my mistakes.

I showed two options ''in some places/somewhere'' to make sure that whether both of them go with the sentences.

''BREAKİNG THE SOUND BARRIER

While flying, all planes ''create/cause'' pressure waves which ''move/travel'' at the speed of sound. The pressure waves are produced/formed by the buildup of particles of air while the plane goes forward.
Generally speaking, a jet plane flying through the air with an average velocity of 717mph which is equal to the speed of sound or greater than it , ''accumulates/piles up'' shock waves ''in front of/ahead of'' itself like snow before a snowplow. As a result of this, the plane ends up with carrying a compressed air called a sound barrier with it.

When a plane ''passes over/exceeds'' a sound barrier, it produces a loud sound like an explosion called the sonic boom. When a plane travels at the speed of sound, its speed is called Mak 1 and when it travels at twice the speed of sound, its speed is called Mak 2.''

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Mach one is 767.269 mph.

You showed two options in some places because you couldn't choose between them. But you should choose.

Two questions.

Where did you get your information?

Which sentences do you think I would delete?

Thanks for your answer Tarheel.

I am not familiar with American Unit System. We are using SI in our calculations. 717 mph is from a book written by a retired pilot and I did not control whether it is correct or not.

I just want to make sure if both of them are suitable for the sentences, but I would choose cause, travel, piles up, ahead of and exceeds, respectively.

Your second question is a little bit tricky one. I do not know but I think you would delete some parts of this sentence;

''Generally speaking, a jet plane flying through the air with an average velocity of 717mph which is equal to the speed of sound or greater than it, ''accumulates/piles up'' shock waves ''in front of/ahead of'' itself like snow before a snowplow.''

I would delete the "I showed two options" sentence because it is a mess.

More later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back