Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello,
Please help explain the sentence below. I am translating a beauty product, and there are some sentences as below which I don't understand the meaning:
1. Fluid Foundation (Brands not in Foundation)
2. Makeup base - SPF 30 (Brands not in Foundation)
3. Perfecting Moisturiser (Brands not in Foundation)

I don't understand what "Brands not in Foundation" means?
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance
Hai Anh

It's not a standard phrase that I have come across. Could it mean that the brand name is not given?

It's not a standard phrase that I have come across. Could it mean that the brand name is not given?

Or maybe it could mean the brands of those products are not in the collection.... There is no online reference, thus I am so confused with this phrase

Is the collection called Foundation?

You could still be right about it being the brands not in the collection.

Is 'Foundation' with a capital F mentioned previously in the text?

Is 'Foundation' with a capital F mentioned previously in the text?

Yes, it is. In all cases that phrase appears, the word Foundation comes with a capslock F

"Foundation" is what goes on the face beneath other products.
Some foundations are just foundations - they don't have moisturizers, they don't have sun protection. It sounds like they listed those basic products first, and then the other products that are "foundation plus something else."

However, I would have said that "base" and "foundation" were the same, so that one confuses me.

"Foundation" is what goes on the face beneath other products.
Some foundations are just foundations - they don't have moisturizers, they don't have sun protection. It sounds like they listed those basic products first, and then the other products that are "foundation plus something else."

However, I would have said that "base" and "foundation" were the same, so that one confuses me.

Speaking about Foundation, yes, there are a lot kinds of foundation. Both Foundation and Base go on the face beneath other products, prepare the skin for the other layers of makeup to come. However, they are lightly different.
Base goes under your foundation, help your foundation and powder last longer, help brighten the skin. While Foundation tends to help you hide imperfections or uneven skin tone, make it flawless.
(my two cents). :)

That sounds like a lot of work. My beauty routine is to wash my face. Sometimes I swipe some mascara over my eyelashes.

There is no reason to capitalize the "f" in "foundation" or the "b" in "base."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back