Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

Bob was arrested after a brawl outside a pub just before dawn. His hands handcuffed in front of him, he sat at the back seat with three police officers in the car. "Where do you take me to?" he asked. "'White House'", replied one of them. Bob froze with fear. "White House" was in common parlance the name of an infamous local police station, where a few of arrested people were found dead after spending a night in their cells. The official cause of death was usually a heart attack, but nobody believed in these explanations. Those were healthy men in their full prime, who had their whole lives in front of them. Bob knew that this was a cover-up, and he was shaking at the possibility of losing his life from one kick in his heart.

Bob was arrested after a brawl outside a pub just before dawn. With his hands handcuffed in front of him, he sat [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the back seat with three police officers in the car. "Where [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] are you taking me (to)?" he asked. "'White House'", replied one of them. Bob froze with fear. "White House" was, in common parlance, the name of an infamous local police station, where a few [STRIKE]of arrested[/STRIKE] people were found dead after spending a night in [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] the cells there. The official cause of death was usually a heart attack, but nobody believed that. [STRIKE]in these explanations.[/STRIKE] Those were healthy men in their [STRIKE]full[/STRIKE] prime, who had their whole lives in front of them. Bob knew that this was a cover-up, and he was shaking at the possibility of losing his life from one kick in [STRIKE]his heart[/STRIKE] the chest.

I'm only wondering what is wrong with my version "His hands handcuffed in front of him",because I have seen similar sentences in fiction. Are those constructions not grammatically correct?

It's okay, but I prefer the version starting with "with". I suppose I should have put "with" in brackets.

I'm going to have to disagree with teechar on this one. Example:

His hands handcuffed in front of him, he sat there quietly.

They like to handcuff you with your hands in back. It's more fun that way.
:-|

(Cross posted)

Don't they normally handcuff people behind their backs? They seem to in movies.

Don't they normally handcuff people behind their backs? They seem to in movies.

Yes, I think so. (Movies imitate life in this case.

It's easier to control somebody whose hands are tied in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back