Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
Which terms can I use here?

I saw a very attractive girl in a mall today and considered to bring her to my home to watch a movie but then I saw all the tattoos on her arms which could have been signs of criminal organizations. So I didn't talk to her because maybe her ............................ would have beaten me up.

boat-rocker friends
biker gang friends
ruffian friends
rowdy friends

Probably the second.

If you recognised the tattoos as being those of a specific criminal organisation, you would probably know whether it was a criminal biker gang or not. There's a danger of your post suggesting that you assume that anyone with tattoos must be linked to crime. If you go with "biker gang friends" then you will be suggesting that you know that the tattoos are linked to a biker gang that is also engaged in criminal activities. Again, you need to make sure you're not suggesting that members of all biker gangs are criminals.

If you're not sure that the tattoos are connected to a biker gang or a criminal organisation, all your post is saying is that you decided not to talk to the girl because she has tattoos.

If you recognised the tattoos as being those of a specific criminal organisation, you would probably know whether it was a criminal biker gang or not.
Maybe it's not that easy to recognise if they are criminal or not when you are in another country, especially in Asian one having been brought up in Europe? The OP's probably talking about the Philippines. I find it natural not to take unnecessary risks in such a situation.

I've no doubt there are some cultural differences here. In the UK, it wouldn't cross my mind that someone had criminal connections purely because they had tattoos. One of my work colleagues is extensively tattooed, with the exception of her face, and she is one of the most gentle, caring, wonderful people I have ever met.
The other cultural point is that, here, you wouldn't approach a complete stranger and ask them to go back to your house to watch a film! You might approach them, get chatting and eventually ask them if they fancied meeting for a coffee or a drink at some point.

Ha-ha! Yes, that movie thing is pretty funny, I agree.:-D But, in theory, it might work even in your country, no? What do you think, Ems? Is it impossible? Just curious.:)

Last edited:
Would it be natural to put the idea as "her very probably not law-abiding friends"?

But why can't "boat-rockers" or "ruffians" be used? Aren't these terms associated with crime and potentially dangerous situations?

By the way, no, I'm currently not in the Philippines. It was a situation which happened in a Dutch mall.

Ruffians is a bit old-fashioned. We have the expression rock the boat, but I wouldn't use boat-rocker.

And if you say that someone "rocks the boat", it has nothing to do with criminal behaviour or beating up people who ask your friend out on a date.

By the way, no, I'm currently not in the Philippines.

In that case, please update the "Current Location" section of your profile. It says you're in the Philippines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back