Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Hi

This is a saying in Bible I think.

I was wondering why is "are offended" and not "who don't offend me"

That sentence is what Jejus said to John the Baptist, but I can't understand.

I think it should be not passive to make it sense.

Could you help?

thanks.

It would help if you found the actual Bible verse instead of something "you think" is in the Bible.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.
6And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
7 And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
(KJV; Matt 11:6)
NIV (New International version) has 6 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+11:5-7&version=KJV

At the Bible Gateway you can look up any word or passage in any one of dozens of English versions and other languages. There's no justification for saying you think something is in the Bible.
https://www.biblegateway.com/

And those various versions exist anywhere between the "old" English of the KJV to modern English; from literal word-for-word translations from the original languages to those that attempt to express idiom and meaning in contemporary ways.

Thanks. So do you mean it's an old-way of expression?

Anything from the Bible would be deemed to be written in an "old way" or an old-fashioned way, unless it's from a version of the Bible which has been "translated" into modern English.

Bear in mind that not everyone considers the Bible to be a record of actual, real events. As with any other book, it's OK to write "In the Bible, Jesus says to ...". This is in the same way that you would write "In The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins says to ...".

Thanks. So do you mean it's an old-way of expression?

The King James Version (KJV) of the Bible reflects the way English was used in the early 1600s.

Much has changed since then. Even native English speakers are at times bewildered by what the KJV says.

I would recommend a more modern Bible translation, like the NIV.

Here is the Good News translation of the same text:

Jesus answered, “Go back and tell John what you are hearing and seeing: 5 the blind can see, the lame can walk, those who suffer from dreaded skin diseases are made clean,[a] the deaf hear, the dead are brought back to life, and the Good News is preached to the poor. 6 How happy are those who have no doubts about me
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt+11&version=GNT

Many words in the King James Version have changed meaning and/or sage since then. One actor, Antony Sher, who has played many Shakespearean roles said that it didn't matter too much if he forgot his lines as he could just make them up as the language was so different today. When I saw him in a play by one of Shakespeare's contemporaries, he threatened to cut someone up to carbonara, which definitely wasn't in the original, but sounded good and threatening. The King James Version is often like that- it sounds grand and impressive, but it's hard to really understand it, or really hard to understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back