Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hey,

I just watched the movie "Blade Runner" again after so many years and now I'm wondering why Scott chose this name. Clearly, it's made up, but I'm interested in what a native speaker associates with this.

Can you run a blade other than to run it into someone?

Or do you think it is an allusion to the fine line the Character Deckard is walking in the movie?

Thanks for your input.

Hey,

I just watched the movie "Blade Runner" again after so many years and now I'm wondering why Scott chose this name. Clearly, it's made up, but I'm interested in what a native speaker associates with this.

Can you run a blade other than to run it into someone?

Or do you think it is an allusion to the fine line the Character Deckard is walking in the movie?

Thanks for your input.

Blade Runner is one of my favourite films. According to imdb.com:

"While the film is loosely based on Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", the title comes from a book by Alan Nourse called "The Bladerunner". William S. Burroughs wrote a screenplay based on the Nourse book and a novella entitled "Blade Runner: A Movie." Ridley Scott bought the rights to the title but not the screenplay or the book. The Burroughs composition defines a blade runner as "a person who sells illegal surgical instruments".

That at least explains how Ridley Scott got hold of the title. Maybe he just decided to attach the title to the next film he made!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back