Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Does twisted mean drunk because you're unhappy?

thanks

Is this kinna like a set phrase?

Does twisted mean drunk because you're unhappy?

Thanks.

No. We don't have a word which means that you got drunk because you were unhappy.

"Bitter and twisted" is a well-known phrase. "Bitter" means that you have bad feelings towards someone else because of something they did to you in the past (usually) and "twisted" can mean many things. In this phrase it usually means "with a warped sense of humour" or "slightly evil".

Last edited:
Is this kinna like a set phrase?

I assume you meant to type "kinda" not "kinna". Even so, please don't use textspeak or netspeak on this forum. It can be very confusing for beginners.

Is this a type of set phrase?
Is this a set phrase?
Is this kind of a set phrase?
Is this a set phrase of some kind?

No. We don't have a word which means that you got drunk because you were unhappy.

"Bitter and twisted" is a well-known phrase. "Bitter" means that you have bad feelings towards someone else because of something they did to you in the past (usually) and "twisted" can mean many things. In this phrase it usually means "with a warped sense of humour" or "slightly evil".

I take "twisted" in the phrase "bitter and twisted" as something like "mentally damaged" because of the experiences that left the person "bitter."

I take "twisted" in the phrase "bitter and twisted" as something like "mentally damaged" because of the experiences that left the person "bitter."

That's a much better interpretation than mine. ;-)

:up: ...But we do have an idiomatic expression: 'looking for/seeking <noun> in <drink>.' the noun can be more or less any abstract noun within reason (e.g. happiness/forgetfulness/a solution..._, and the drink can be replaced by something figurative - such as 'the bottle' or even 'in the bottom of a glass'.

b

In AmE you might hear "crying in your beer" for drinking while unhappy.

Last edited:
"Drowning your sorrows" can also mean to drink alcohol because you're sad.

I assume you meant to type "kinda" not "kinna". Even so, please don't use textspeak or netspeak on this forum. It can be very confusing for beginners.

Is this a type of set phrase?
Is this a set phrase?
Is this kind of a set phrase?
Is this a set phrase of some kind?

Roger! =]

(learnt this when I was playing one of the games in PS3)
it should be the right context though it can sound hilarious or obsolete in a certain sense?

Roger! =]

(learnt this when I was playing one of the games in PS3)
it should be the right context though it can sound hilarious or obsolete in a certain sense?

[not a teacher]

"It" meaning what, "kinna" or "roger"?

"Roger" is perfectly understandable in this context.

"Kinna" is always, to my knowledge, spelled "kinda", which is not grammatical. I don't know what the formation of "kind of" in to "kinda" is called, perhaps a teacher and edify us.

[not a teacher]

"It" meaning what, "kinna" or "roger"?

"Roger" is perfectly understandable in this context.

"Kinna" is always, to my knowledge, spelled "kinda", which is not grammatical. I don't know what the formation of "kind of" in to "kinda" is called, perhaps a teacher and edify us.

I'm not sure there is one, but I'd refer to it as 'agglutination'.

The Milk Marketing Board accidentally caused one that they went on to use in subsequent marketing campaigns. The original words were 'Drink a pinta [=of] milk a day; teachers complained about this - as 'kinda' is non-standard and the addition of '-a' (in written language) to create a '<noun>+ of' was just not done.

But the Board knew when they were onto a money-making neologism, and their next slogan was 'Have you bought your extra pinta?' (where the '-a' suggests 'of' and the buyer thinks 'of what?' with the implied answer 'milk of course'. Thge next slogan was 'One extra pinta, please'. More followed.

b

Every schoolboy knows that the Pinta was the second of Columbus' three ships, used to discover America.

Every schoolboy knows that the Pinta was the second of Columbus' three ships, used to discover America.

Every American schoolboy maybe. I've never heard of it! At least I've heard of Columbus, eh? ;-)

Every American schoolboy maybe. I've never heard of it! At least I've heard of Columbus, eh? ;-)
Is that the Fred Columbus who used to deliver our milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back