Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
i heard this idiom in a political podcast. "obama was biting the bullet". so guys i just want to know if the podcaster was saying bad words about obama or he just was kidding?

it was a serious podcast though i don't think he was telling a joke. although he was talking about the war against isis, the financial crisis, and other difficulties

I heard this idiom in a political podcast. "Obama was biting the bullet". So guys, I just want to know if the podcaster was saying bad words about Obama or if he just was kidding.

It was a serious podcast though I don't think he was telling a joke (no full stop here) although he was talking about the war against Isis, the financial crisis, and other difficulties​.

Fish-able, you must start every sentence with a capital letter, capitalise "I" and proper nouns, and end every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark. If you don't follow the most basic rules of written English, you will find that we will stop being so keen to help you.

i heard this idiom in a political podcast. "obama was biting the bullet". so guys i just want to know if the podcaster was saying bad words about obama or he just was kidding?

It is not a joke, but an idiom. In the days before anesthesia surgery was extremely painful. Patients were often given a lead bullet to bite on as a means of helping them to endure the pain without screaming. So "bite the bullet" means to undergo a very unpleasant experience.

However, these days (in BrE, at least), it is used to mean to decide to do something even though it might be unpleasant, uncomfortable or difficult.

I have to tell my boyfriend that I want to break up with him. I've been putting it off for weeks but I've decided to bite the bullet and tell him tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back