"bigger than a breadbox"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the meaning of "bigger than a breadbox"?

Thank you!
"Is it bigger than a breadbox?"
It's a common question in the game "20 questions", where you have to guess an object - also called "Animal, vegetable or mineral", which is usually the first question.
Why "a breadbox", I don't know. But it does narrow down the field of possible answers.

What is the context?
The comtext is:

Steve had a whole sheet of questions that he wanted to go through with Katie, but Katie only did two with him and wanted him to do the rest of it himself.

Here is the part of the conversation right before Steve used that phrase.(This is from a recording, there could be errors since I may not hear it right. )

(After Katie indicated that the session ended)

Steve: So, what about the rest of this? (He was refer to the rest of the questions on the worksheet.)
Katie: Get still.
Steve: Get still and one at a time?
Katie: One at a time.
Steve: It seems bigger than a breadbox.
Katie: There is only one.
Steve: at a time.
Katie: Just one. One at a time is a future. One, just one, that's enough. If I thought there would be more than one to handle, I wouldn't be sitting here with you. My job is just to do one.
Steve:Cause with other people you gone through their worksheet, with me you…we didn't go through the worksheet.
……

Thank you so very much for responding my quest for help.

"Is it bigger than a breadbox?"
It's a common question in the game "20 questions", where you have to guess an object - also called "Animal, vegetable or mineral", which is usually the first question.
Why "a breadbox", I don't know. But it does narrow down the field of possible answers.
Thank you for trying to help me. I really appreciate it. :)

I'm sorry, but their conversation makes little sense to me. The "Get still" in particular was confusing.

The original answer is the one I would have given. When you're playing a guessing game, the question "Is it bigger than a breadbox" is just a standard question to help narrow down the size of the item.

I'm sorry, but their conversation makes little sense to me. The "Get still" in particular was confusing.

The original answer is the one I would have given. When you're playing a guessing game, the question "Is it bigger than a breadbox" is just a standard question to help narrow down the size of the item.

I am fascinated by this "is it bigger than a breadbox" question, it would seem that in the US and in Australia this is a common question in a guessing game. I have to say that I have never heard it before.

And I've never even see a real breadbox!

And I've never even see a real breadbox!

Have you not? It's quite a common item in kitchens in the UK and Ireland.

The dialogue posted giving the context makes absolutely no sense to me!

As for 'breadbox', I call it 'bread bin'. Unless they are different things? I also have never used the object, bin or box, in the game of 20 questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back