Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

A TV presenter talks about meditation to a guest who is a host of a yoga program on TV.

Presenter: You wouldn't have your own show on that if you didn't. So you've been doing this for years, what have the results been?

Guest: Well initially like, you'll definitely feel calmer, you get less anxious. But more like long term benefits for me are like when I have these big light bulbs go off where a situation will happen but I'm normally I'm like on auto pilot or I normally would get angry. Now from years of meditation what I see is just like small gap where I'm like oh, I can actually have a choice. I can choose to go and take a walk and respond to this in a different way rather than just automatically like have my button pressed and lash out to someone.

Is the guest referring to the shooting stage/area (in a studio where a TV program is filmed) and does "big lights bulbs go off" meam "floodlight stops working"?

Thank you

When "the light bulb goes off" it means you get an idea suddenly.

In cartoon strips, when you see a light bulb over the character's head, it means they have come up with an idea.

She means she suddenly sees a solution to a situation. She sees she has a choice on how to react.

Hello everyone,

A TV presenter talks about meditation to a guest who is a host of a yoga program on TV.

Presenter: You wouldn't have your own show on that if you didn't. So you've been doing this for years, what have the results been?

Guest: Well initially like, you'll definitely feel calmer, you get less anxious. But more like long term benefits for me are like when I have these big light bulbs go off where a situation will happen but I'm normally I'm like on auto pilot or I normally would get angry. Now from years of meditation what I see is just like small gap where I'm like oh, I can actually have a choice. I can choose to go and take a walk and respond to this in a different way rather than just automatically like have my button pressed and lash out to someone.

Is the guest referring to the shooting stage/area (in a studio where a TV program is filmed) and does "big lights bulbs go off" meam "floodlight stops working"?

Thank you
No, it's about the normal reaction the speaker used to have to a situation. If, for example, someone slapped the speaker, the reaction would be anger. Now, after years of studying yoga, the reaction would be that there is a choice of things to do.

When "the light bulb goes off" it means you get an idea suddenly.

In cartoon strips, when you see a light bulb over the character's head, it means they have come up with an idea.

She means she suddenly sees a solution to a situation. She sees she has a choice on how to react.

But why did coming up with an idea made her angry before she started practicing meditation?
""

I think the guest should meditate on how to get rid of "like" in his/her speech. Irritating.

But why did coming up with an idea made her angry before she started practicing meditation?
""

It doesn't.
Before she started meditating, a situation would make her angry. Now she realizes she has a choice - she can get angry like she used to, or she can do something else. The lightbulb is the realization that she has a choice in how she reacts.

Mind you, if it takes years of meditation to come up with the idea of going for a walk to calm down, the guest's not selling yoga very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back