Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello.

What does it mean "bets in the horses"?

I've got a friend who constantly speculates on the stock market and bets on the horses.

Thank you.

"Bets on the horses" means gambles on horse races. Are you familiar with horse races?

Yes, 'bets on​ the horses".
To tell you the truth, no.

I think one does not have to be familiar with horse races to understand the meaning of 'bets on the horses'.

It would certainly help.

Yes, 'bets on​ the horses".
To tell you the truth, no.

Gambling on the results of horse races is very popular in many English-speaking countries.

A related term you may hear in the US is 'play the ponies', meaning to wager on the results of horse races, especially somebody who does so on a regular basis.

The learners should notice the spelling error in the horse's name. "Pharaoh" is the correct spelling.

I'm not much interested in horse racing, but the video clip is very impressive. What a fast horse Secretariat was!

:)

... and what an interesting name it had!

Once they registered the horse, it was too late to change the spelling.

He broke the course record at Belmont. It is likely that record will stand for a long time.

A related term you may hear in the US is 'play the ponies', meaning to wager on the results of horse races, especially somebody who does so on a regular basis.

We us ponies in the UK for this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back