Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is the grammar for "Best to a bit of a run"? The sentence appears to be special. If we want to write out the entire structure of it, would it be "A bit of a run will be the best"?

=================
Harry Potter: Could you tell me how to...
Madam: How to get onto the platform? Not to worry, dear.
All you got to do is walk straight at the wall, between platforms 9 and 10.
Best to a bit of a run if you are nervous.

Last edited:
Is your quote from an authorized edition of the book? It looks like an error to me.

Is your quote from an authorized edition of the book? It looks like an error to me.

Yes, an authorized edition, because it is behind a paywall used nationwide for years.

Well, I've just now found an online edition:

- Excuse me. Could you tell me how to...? -How to get onto the platform?- Not to worry, dear. It's Ron's first time to Hogwarts as well.
- All you've got do is walk straight at the wall between platforms 9 and 10.
- Best do it at a bit of a run if you're nervous. -Good luck.

This version is grammatical.

Yes, an authorized edition, because it is behind a paywall used nationwide for years.
That someone collects money to download it does not mean it's an authorized edition. The error you found is an indication it may be pirated.

You can watch and listen to it here at 2.13 mins.

I didn't really think about it in the book, but when I watched the movie it really irritated me that it was 9 3/4 and not 9 1/2, when it's HALFWAY between 9 and 10.

I didn't really think about it in the book, but when I watched the movie it really irritated me that it was 9 3/4 and not 9 1/2, when it's HALFWAY between 9 and 10.

Shouldn't it be '...is walk straight towards/against/into the wall...' instead of the original dialogue?

Last edited:
That someone collects money to download it does not mean it's an authorized edition. The error you found is an indication it may be pirated.

No. It can't be downloaded. You can only play it with the app the Chinese company offers. It is authorized to be displayed in China. The online address is here: https://www.iqiyi.com/

You can report it to international copyright protection agency if you think it is pirated.

The screenwriter has a good ear for dialog. It sounds like natural British English to me.

Until I watched the video, I thought that the lady was telling Harry to walk near or on the wall.

She says, "Best do it at a bit of a run."

That is: hurry.

Now you've learned a bit of British idiom. :)

If I am not mistaken that's 'walk into a wall'. Had the lady said '...walk into the wall', I wonder it would have changed the meaning.

If I am not mistaken that's 'walk into a wall'. Had the lady said '...walk into the wall', I wonder it would have changed the meaning.

She says "walk straight at the wall" because there's a wall in front of them. It's clearly that wall that she's talking about. She doesn't say "into" because Harry would have to know the wall was permeable for that to make sense. He doesn't know that, so directing him to walk right up to the wall with "at" is the right choice for a British English speaker.

Can you think of a way to ask this question without implying you know English better than a native speaker?

She says "walk straight at the wall" because there's a wall in front of them. It's clearly that wall that she's talking about. She doesn't say "into" because Harry would have to know the wall was permeable for that to make sense. He doesn't know that, so directing him to walk right up to the wall with "at" is the right choice for a British English speaker.

Can you think of a way to ask this question without implying you know English better than a native speaker?

So far what I have learnt is that, besides having other meanings, the preposition 'into' shows movement from an open area to an enclosure.

So far what I have learnt is that, besides having other meanings, the preposition 'into' shows movement from an open area to an enclosure.

That's correct. It wouldn't be a natural choice for the situation because it wouldn't make sense to Harry. "At" works well in the British idiom because, as I understand it, it combines the idea of "towards" and "until you hit it". Come to think of it, we use "at" the same way in American English, as in "He came right at me with his fists flying". We wouldn't tell someone to run straight at something though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back