Before you disappear down a path to academic Bolivia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Fury

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, I'm watching an American movie called Candyman, where two women write a thesis on urban legends.

They and two professors are having dinner together:

Professor Purcell: So how are the two most beautiful graduate students getting along, then? Trevor tells me you've been dabbling in my favorite subject. Well, I can't wait to review your data. I think I can fit you in tomorrow morning.
Helen: We're not ready yet.
Professor Purcell: That's precisely the moment at which I can be of greatest assistance. Before you disappear down a path to academic Bolivia. (Purcell looks at Trevor.)
Professor Trevor: I think I've been there.

After these words the professors laugh and the women giggle.

I was wondering if you could tell me what the professor means, because I have no idea.

The movie is set in Chicago, by the way.

Last edited:
That's precisely the moment at which I can be of greatest assistance, before you disappear down a path to academic Bolivia.
I haven't seen that movie, but are you sure he didn't say "oblivion" instead of "Bolivia"? If he actually said "Bolivia", then some kind of silly/crude play on words is intended - ["oblivion ---> "Bolivia"].

He meant '... to academic oblivion'.

He was probably making a deliberate malapropism for comic effect.

(Cross-posted)

Thank you, teechar; thank you, Rover. The professor definitely says "Bolivia" and it doesn't seem to be a case of malapropism because it looks and sounds like he replaces "oblivion" with "Bolivia" intentionally. Perhaps, it has something to do with the women's past, but there's no other reference before or after this conversation that could allow us to connect the women with Bolivia or anything close to it.

But anyway, I hadn't heard "to disappear down a path to academic oblivion" before, either. Is this expression idiomatic? And does "academic oblivion" mean that they and their work will be forgotten by scholars and scientists?

Last edited:
Perhaps, it has something to do with the women's past,
That or some other oblique reference. I'd need to know the broader context to comment further. Maybe someone who has seen the movie will enlighten us on this.

But anyway, I hadn't heard "to disappear down a path [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] of academic oblivion" before, either.
I think "down the path of" is probably more likely.

Is this expression idiomatic?
It's figurative rather than idiomatic (in the sense of deriving from an idiom), I'd say.

And does "academic oblivion" mean that they and their work will be forgotten by scholars and scientists?
I would say that he meant disappear/fade into the dark alleys (my colourful figurative words) of academia and the world of research.

I've been careless, I'm so sorry. I'd been meaning to start this thread for a couple of days (was too busy with work), and when I finally got around to it, one thing eluded me: Purcell actually addresses his line to Professor Trevor and Trevor replies: "I think I've been there" (see the very first post for the corrected dialogue).

So does Purcell imply that at some point Trevor left for Bolivia and as a result, he was consigned to academic oblivion?

I'm afraid I need extra clarification, or someone to summarize the main points, because after reading Robert's posts and the wiki-article "Education in Bolivia" I got slightly confused.

Purcell: Before you disappear down a path to academic Bolivia.
Trevor: I think I've been there.

Did Purcell actually meant "academic oblivion"? Or his point was simply "don't veer off course and end up like those poorly educated Bolivians"?
However, Trevor's line only makes sense to me if the former is the case.

Last edited:
Are you sure that he says Bolivia?

According to this script, he says oblivia.

(https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=candyman)

The simplest and likeliest explanation to all this is that he doesn't say Bolivia at all, but without hearing an excerpt, we'll have to take your word that he does. Is it possible you could somehow legally post a short clip?

I don't think you need to know anything about higher education in Bolivia to understand the line, nor does it imply that the character has any such knowledge. To an American audience, Academic Bolivia suggests a remote, inaccessible corner of academia where Trevor will have an unsuccessful career.

And I agree that oblivion is a much likelier word for that line.

Academic Bolivia suggests a remote, inaccessible corner of academia where Trevor will have an unsuccessful career.

Combined with a deliberate malapropism, as post #3 suggests, this is a coherent interpretation. (If it is in fact Bolivia.)

You're right—it is Bolivia.

The way he titters tells us that he thought it a was witty play-on-words, combining the idea of a remote corner of academia with the word oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back