Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
At 12:17, the (manual) subtitles say: Becoming (indistinct).
Could you tell me please if it's just me or is he saying there to become an authoritarian leader.

Yes, he says "authoritarian leader". Whoever edited the video evidently thought it would be cool to merge the final r of leader into the sound of the helicopter. Of course subtitling software doesn't understand the concept of cool.😀
Why do you think these subtitles are "manual"?

Last edited:
Why do you think these subtitles are "manual"?
Automatic subtitles are called "auto-generated", they appear word by word as the speech is progressing, don't have punctuation and capitalization. In this video both are available, one can switch to one or the other.

Automatic subtitles are unreliable. Things they don't understand include both jokes and irony. Here's an example from my owm experience. I was watching an American film with Spanish subtitles. A character exclaimed "Yeah, right" and the subtitle read "Claro que si". But of course it ehould have read "Claro que no" because "Yeah right!" is always ironic.

Automatic subtitles are unreliable. Things they don't understand include both jokes and irony. Here's an example from my owm experience. I was watching an American film with Spanish subtitles. A character exclaimed "Yeah, right" and the subtitle read "Claro que si". But of course it ehould have read "Claro que no" because "Yeah right!" is always ironic.
That's a little different, it's auto-translation. Google (Youtube) may make a perfect transcription, but then you choose the option to auto-translate it into a foreign language, and much nuance may be lost indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back