Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As a result of the more than 100-day conflict, UN Women added, at least 3,000 women may have become widows and heads of households and at least 10,000 children may have lost their fathers.

Source: AP Women and children are the main victims of the Israel-Hamas war with 16,000 killed, UN says

Becoming widows is a tragedy, but how do you understand "becoming heads of households" being described as a tragedy here? It seems to be a cultural thing.
My guess is that in that area (Gaza strip), a mother usually and culturally obeys her husband and doesn't serve as the head of their household. When she has to, it is a tragedy.
Just a guess. I don't know whether you native English speakers think it this way.
What do you think about it then?

My guess is that in that area (Gaza strip), a mother usually and culturally obeys her husband and doesn't serve as the head of their household.
Yes, and it is tragic if she becomes the head of the household as a result of her husband's death/incapacitation.

In traditionally patriarchal societies (Palestine is an example of this), women don't usually work (and sometimes aren't even allowed to), so it's a disaster if a woman becomes the only adult in a family. She would have no way of earning money for herself and the children. That is, indeed, a tragedy.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back