Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A: Do you like flowers?
B: Of course. They are beautiful creatures.

Well, the word creature, when it refers to anything living or existing, is archaic (yet not obsolete). So the question here is:

Does "Flowers are beautiful creatures" work in today's English?

No. Flowers are plants. Creatures are animals.

Personally, I wouldn't regard bacteria as creatures- creatures have legs for me. (Not a biologist)

Personally, I wouldn't regard bacteria as creatures- creatures have legs for me. (Not a biologist)
They aren't animals.

Often regarded as flora but really neither flora nor fauna.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are often regarded as flora but are really neither flora nor fauna.

PeterCW, we'd be grateful if you'd remember to write your responses in complete sentences. We spend a lot of time reminding learners here that they must do so, so we native speakers need to set a good example.

Do you remember Tree Beard in the Lord of the Rings, the old tree who has legs and who leads his tree army that helps to defeat Saruman? They are spiritual creatures in the form of tree. Context is vital. In fabulous novels, flowers are beautiful creatures. Though normally we don’t call flowers as such .

Last edited:
Do you remember Tree Beard in the Lord of the Rings, the old tree who has legs and who leads his tree army that helps to defeat Saruman?
Treebeard and the other ents are animals, at least until they grow "tree-ish" after a couple of thousand years of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back