Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The regional governor in charge of Daraya, a rebellious working-class suburb of the capital, Damascus, that was devastated by Mr Assad’s forces in August, recently visited it bearing bread. A kindly speech about resupplying the stricken town was followed by a stark warning, says a resident at the scene: harbour the rebels again and Daraya will be razed to the ground.

What does "bearing bread" mean in the above paragraph?

Thanks!

JY

In that context, visiting to show support/peace etc. It's like a show of good faith.

Not a teacher...Yet

:up: The more common collocation with 'bearing' is 'bearing gifts'/ BNC shows these:
1 BEARING WITNESS 19
2 BEARING GIFTS 16
3 BEARING FRUIT 15
... [and many more, but only in single figures]
(No. 1 isn't about good things to eat: ;-))

1 BEARING WITNESS 113
2 BEARING FRUIT 83
3 BEARING GIFTS 78

COCA tells a similar story - with the same 3 front-runners.

b

So bearing bread means showing support?

:up: The more common collocation with 'bearing' is 'bearing gifts'/ BNC shows these:

(No. 1 isn't about good things to eat: ;-))

COCA tells a similar story - with the same 3 front-runners.

b

It is not an idiom with that meaning - but in that context it refers to things other than bread - only things you can eat, though. Like the Christian prayer Pater Noster's 'Give us this day our daily bread', it means more than just bread*.

This shows support (but a sort of support that draws the line at things other than food - and possibly medical supplies).

b

PS In that context, different believers interpret it differently - in ways that have no place in this discussion (in fact I regret saying it - but as people may have been online when I wrote it I couldn't just unsay it ;-))

Last edited:
"Breaking bread" is the expression I am familiar with. People sit down to a meal together. As said above, there is more to it than just bread. In a political context, to "break bread" can mean that two sides are coming together, forming bonds, making peace.

Etymological tidbit:

The gothic-speaking tribes conquered by Rome had a word for someone you were friendly enough with to break bread: GA HLAIBA (which means with bread). (If you wrinkle your eyes up you can just about see the origin of our 'loaf'.)

The Roman soldiers knew a good thing when they saw it, and coined the word COM-PANIO - which ultimately (probably via French compagnon) gives us 'companion'.

I hereby declare this tangent closed ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back