Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello!

What do you call this type of ceiling in English? Beam ceiling?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Ceiling.png
    Ceiling.png
    821.7 KB · Views: 33
Beam ceiling?

It doesn't seem so to me. I don't see any beams here. It's more like a "suspended" ceiling (or some other term for this grooved decorative thing). It may be some light metal sheets or something like that.

not a teacher

It looks to me like an attempt to make an old-fashioned beamed ceiling, but it's odd that the "beams" (which look more like RSJs) appear to be white with silver edging. I don't think the photograph is particularly clear, which doesn't help. The rest of the room suggests that they were going for an old-fashioned British pub snug look.

Those shiny metal troughs don't look like beams/joists to me. They are used for decoration and to conceal the lights.

They're certainly not doing a great job of concealing the lights. The lights are literally screwed onto them and hang proud of them! @natalia.kyrch - Do you have another photo of the room, preferably taken from a different angle so we can see the ceiling clearly?

While we're on the subject of photos, please be aware that the same copyright laws apply to images as to words. You need to tell us where you downloaded that image from. If it's not copyright-free, it will need to be deleted.

While we're on the subject of photos, please be aware that the same copyright laws apply to images as to words. You need to tell us where you downloaded that image from. If it's not copyright-free, it will need to be deleted.
It's been on my laptop for some time, and I'm using it now as an inspiration for the description of a living room in my book... I totally forgot about the copyright thing, I'm sorry. I'm not sure how I can delete this thread, maybe someone could help me with that, please?
Unfortunately, I don't have another pic of this room, so I guess I'll stick to the 'beamed ceiling' thing you mentioned earlier. Thank you very much.

They're certainly not doing a great job of concealing the lights. The lights are literally screwed onto them and hang proud of them! @natalia.kyrch - Do you have another photo of the room, preferably taken from a different angle so we can see the ceiling clearly?
While there are lights mounted onto the bottom of the metal strips at the back near the exposed brick wall , there are also some illuminated spots on the ceiling in between the metal strips (two rows) to indicate concealed lights above them. But then again, they could be reflections. Anyway, the picture is not clear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back