Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

I was reading a report issued by a consultant company for the market insight of an industry and have got a not grammatically clear expression.
After talking about pricing trend, then...
QTE
"This is likely to attributed to the strong demand from North American producers in an effort to maximise operating rates amid a shortage in the region."

Was this supposed to be "This is likely to 'be' attributed"?
Or I might have been missing any of usage of likely?

It's ungrammatical.
It should be either "This is likely to be attributed to" or "This is likely to attributed to".
Do you have a link to the report?

Hi.

I was reading a report issued by a consultancy company for the about/regarding market insight of into an a particular industry and have got I found a something that is not grammatically clear to me. expression.

After talking about pricing trend, then... it said:

QTE
"This is likely to attributed to the strong demand from North American producers in an effort to maximise operating rates amid a shortage in the region."

Was this supposed to be "This is likely to 'be' attributed" no question mark here or might I might have been missing any of a possible usage of "likely"?
Please note my corrections above.

It's ungrammatical.
It should be either "This is likely to be attributed to" or "This is likely to attributed to".
Do you have a link to the report?
Thank you. I understand that "likely" is used as adverb in the second instance "This is likely attributed to". The usage of "likely" has been confusing me but I feel it is now clearer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back