Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I know that in general we use:
  • at for a point.
  • in for an enclosed space
  • on for a surface

Which one do we say for pointing somewhere. Do we say at/on/ or in the bottom right?
And lastly is it different for different objects? For example a computer screen, book, map etc.

Please give us complete sentences to consider. Give us one with "at", one with "on" and one with "in".

With your example of the computer screen, I would use at/in.

PS I would use on for a speck of dirt on the screen.

Please give us complete sentences to consider. Give us one with "at", one with "on" and one with "in".
I don't have any context actually. I was just playing video games online with a friend and I wanted to show him a picture in the game that was on/at/in the bottom right of the screen. I was't sure which preposition goes with what I wanted to say so I said 'on.'

I just want to know if it's different for different objects and occasions. For example:
1) Draw a box on/in/at the top left of your book.
2) Look at the diagram on/in/at the top left of the screen.
3) There's a small window on/in/at the bottom right of the house.

PS I would use on for a speck of dirt on the screen.
What if I was talking about the picture/content on the screen and not the screen itself?

I don't have any context actually. I was just playing video games online with a friend and I wanted to show him a picture in the game that was on/at/in the bottom right of the screen.
That is the context.

I'd use:

- at the bottom right of the screen.
- in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

I'd use:

- at the bottom right of the screen.
- in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
Did the preposition change just because of the 'hand?' :shock:

This is very confusing. Can you please tell me a general rule on how to use the correct preposition. For example:
On= For surfaces. Dirt on the screen.
In= ?
At= ?

I don't have any context actually. I was just playing video games online with a friend and I wanted to show him a picture in the game that was on/at/in the bottom right of the screen. I was't sure which preposition goes with what I wanted to say so I said 'on.'

On is okay, but at is more likely.

I just want to know if it's different for different objects and occasions.

Yes. For example, You could be hit on the head or punched in the head. (But I hope you don't!)

For example:
1) Draw a box at the top left of your book.
2) Look at the diagram at the top left of the screen.
3) There's a small window at the bottom right of the house.
There!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it's different for different occasions I'll be very specific this time. These are a few things I come across often:
1) Tv screens. As you've mentioned above it should be 'at' for screens. For example- "The health bar is at the top left of the screen."

2) 'On' for flat surfaces. For example- "I can see some dead pixels on the bottom left on your phone's screen."

3) Lastly 'at' for buildings. For example- "If you look at the top right of the building there's a window and that used to be my office."

Please let me know if I've used them correctly.

Since it's different for different occasions I'll be very specific this time. These are a few things I come across often:
1) TV screens. As you've mentioned above it should be 'at' for screens. For example- "The health bar is at the top left of the screen."

2) 'On' for flat surfaces. For example- "I can see some dead pixels on the bottom left on your phone's screen."

You can also say "at the bottom left."

Remember that flat can mean either horizontal (He was lying flat on the ground) or two-dimensional (Press the dough flat).

We usually say "in the street" but "on the sidewalk."

3) Lastly 'at' for buildings. For example- "If you look at the top right of the building there's a window, and that used to be my office."

It has nothing to do with buildings. With look, we usually use at: Look at the bottom left of your screen.

Please let me know if I've used them correctly.
Yes, you have.

Last edited:

You can also say "at the bottom left."
This is what I didn't understand. Both 'at' and 'on' are correct here? Why?

So from what I understand. 'At' works for most cases (computer screens/pages etc). Can guys please give me a few examples where 'at' wouldn't work?

So from what I understand. 'At' works for most cases (computer screens/pages etc). Can guys please give me a few examples where 'at' wouldn't work?
- We all need someone we can lean at.
- The water's great! Come at in!
- And when two lovers woo, / They both say "I love you," / At that you can rely . . . .

I doubt this exercise is really helpful. On this kind of question, sometimes it's better to just set it aside for a few years, then come back to it after you've learned a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back