Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Of the following sentences which denotes the meaning - "I have done wrong and am to blame":

1) I am at fault.

2) I am in fault.

Is there any difference in meaning between the phrases "At fault" and "In fault"?

Kindly advise me.

Last edited:
Nothing. Where did you encounter it?

I have found it in a grammar book where it has mentioned the usage of the phrases as hereunder:

1) I am at fault : I am puzzled.

2) I am in fault : I have done wrong and am to blame.

But I was somewhat perplexed with the usage given in the examples. On account of this I asked you to advise me whether there is any difference in meaning between the phrases.

Please give us the title and author of that book.

TITLE: "A TEXT-BOOK OF HIGHER ENGLISH GRAMMAR, COMPOSITION & TRANSLATION "

EDITION: ANGLO-BENGALI EDITION

AUTHOR: P.K.DE SARKAR

Thank you. Please remember to tell us the source of any sentences you quote in future. Hopefully, there aren't any more errors in the book.

Thank you. Please remember to tell us the source of any sentences you quote in future. Hopefully, there aren't any more errors in the book.

According to you was that explanation regarding the usage of phrases given in that book erroneous?

@Barman If you say you are at fault for something it means you accept blame for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back