Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm getting a feeling that there's got to be the difference between "at a meeting " and "in a meeting". This is how I would use them. I'd say "I'm currently in a meeting." to mean that I'm in the process of a meeting at the moment and "I was at a meeing yesterday." to mean the location of a meeting. I'd be very grateful, if you could explain the difference to me.

I'm getting a feeling that there's got to be the difference between "at a meeting " and "in a meeting". This is how I would use them. I'd say "I'm currently in a meeting." to mean that I'm in the process of a meeting at the moment and "I was at a meeing yesterday." to mean the location of a meeting. I'd be very grateful, if you could explain the difference to me.

I don't think there is any difference in meaning. I would most probably use "at", although I hear "in" very often.

To me, they mean the same thing and neither of them means "the location of a meeting". If anything, I would say that "in" would be closer to meaning the location, because you would probably be in a meeting room, having a meeting.

- Did you get any work done yesterday afternoon?
- No, none at all. I was at a meeting from 1pm until 7pm.

- Why didn't you answer my text message yesterday?
- Sorry, I was in a meeting and couldn't use my phone.

- May I speak to Mr Smith please?
- I'm sorry. He's in a meeting at the moment. Can I take a message?

"At a meeting" conveys something of observing a meeting. "In a meeting" conveys participating in a meeting. (Compare live music: the spectators are "at a concert", the musicians are "in concert".)

But I agree that with meetings the two phrases are very similar in practice.

"At a meeting" conveys something of observing a meeting. "In a meeting" conveys participating in a meeting. (Compare live music: the spectators are "at a concert", the musicians are "in concert".)

But I agree that with meetings the two phrases are very similar in practice.

I would expect the people at a meeting to all be taking part, not observing. If I were in a meeting room where a meeting was taking place but I was only observing it, I wouldn't tell people that I had been at or in a meeting. I would say something like "I went to the senior managers' meeting yesterday - only as an observer of course! I haven't been promoted!"

- May I speak to Mr Smith please?
- I'm sorry. He's in a meeting at the moment. Can I take a message?

Hi emsr2d2,

Is it correct to say 'He's in the meeting. Can I take a message?'

Thanks.

Hi emsr2d2,

Is it correct to say 'He's in the meeting. Can I take a message?'

Thanks.

If the person you are speaking to already knows exactly which meeting you are talking about, then the definite article is possible, although I would expect the actual meeting to be specified.

Bob: Is Dave around?
Secretary: No, he's in the finance meeting. Do you want to leave him a message?
Bob: No, it's fine. I'll come back later.

If it's simply a telephone caller or physical visitor who doesn't have any knowledge of the company or the meeting:

Caller: May I speak to Mr Smith please?
Receptionist: I'm sorry. He's in a meeting at the moment. Can I take a message?
Caller: Please tell him Dave Rogers rang. He can call me back on 234-5678.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back