[Grammar] Asus reveals world's fastest 14-inch gaming laptop, and much more at CES 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(Example 1)
Asus reveals world's fastest 14-inch gaming laptop, and much more at CES 2020.

(Example 2)
You know, I have not been to Xian. I have not been to Dalian. I would love to go to those places and much more. But I have been to different places in Beijing like The Great Wall. It's a pretty great place to visit.
--------
I am wondering about the blue parts. Why not "and many more"?

I take them to mean "... and many more (things/places)". What do you think?
--------
(Source)
pFir3kF.jpg

2. At 0:21

(Example 1)
Asus reveals world's fastest 14-inch gaming laptop, and much more (stuff) at CES 2020.
Here, the "stuff" which I inserted to clarify the meaning can refer to products, technology, innovations ...etc.

(Example 2)
You know, I have not been to Xian. I have not been to Dalian. I would love to go to those places and (do) much more.
Here, the "do" which I inserted to clarify the meaning refers to doing anything, not just visiting places.
I didn't watch the video, but the above might be in response to, for example, "What would you do on your upcoming trip to China?"

I basically agree with teechar in the post above.

By using much instead of many, it shows that he is not thinking about multiple other places to go to, but rather other stuff that he would love to do. If you pause the video precisely at 0:22, where he opens his eyes and mouth very wide, you can see thought (the 'other stuff') come to his mind. This is evidence that he has a clear picture in mind, which he refers to with the phrase much more. My reading of his eyes here is that he enters his eidetic memory, possibly remembering a photograph that he has once seen and which he is now accessing. That's just my speculation, of course.

you can see the thought ([STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] 'other stuff') come to his mind.
I'm pretty sure that "the" jumped out of place. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back