Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Ukraine
I want to ask a retail shop owner on facebook if they happen to have an item I'm looking for. I want to sound formal but informal at the same time, respectful and sophisticated.
I was thinking of:

"Hello, would you be so kind to tell me if you had this [insert product name here] particular product in your store and if so, how much are you selling it for?"

Many thanks

Hi Andrea, and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please update your profile with correct information. You won't be revealing personal information unless your name is really Andrea Spadro. (If it is, you might want to abandon this account and create a new one with an anonymous user name.)

Hi Andrea, and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please update your profile with correct information. You won't be revealing personal information unless your name is really Andrea Spadro. (If it is, you might want to abandon this account and create a new one with an anonymous user name.)

Oh no need to worry, this isn't my real name!

Thanks for your concern and for your warm welcome!

Oh no need to worry, this isn't my real name!

Thanks for your concern and for your warm welcome!
You're welcome. Now if you'll click on your username, your profile will open and you can correct the information in it. The forum requires genuine information there — and again, there's no risk to you in providing it.

I would use if you have, not had. I would also put a comma before if so.

Say:

I want to ask a retail shop owner on Facebook if they have an item I'm looking for.

I want to sound formal but informal at the same time, respectful and sophisticated.

It's probably better just to say what you mean. Get to the point! Perhaps:

Do you have those new things, and what do they cost?
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back