ask for help..what does "the lot of " mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonriverluo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
i found this sentence in a book: “Poverty is a most necessary and indispensable ingredient in society, without which nations and communities could not exist in a state of civilization. It is the lot of man – it is the source of wealth". i don't know how to understand "the lot of man", does it mean "poverty is the nature of humankind"?

i found this sentence in a book: “Poverty is a most necessary and indispensable ingredient in society, without which nations and communities could not exist in a state of civilization. It is the lot of man – it is the source of wealth". i don't know how to understand "the lot of man", does it mean "poverty is the nature of humankind"?
Think of it as the fate of man or what will usually happen. For example, it is the lot of salmon to die after spawning.
In English we always capitalize "I".

See definition 4 for lot (noun) here.

Thank you! You helped me a lot. :)

Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you found helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back