Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
In the examples quoted by a grammar site, it says article “the” is required in the latter examples each. However, I could not come to the same conclusion that the national name of the people referred in those examples are specific. As a matter of fact, it all seems in general to me.

Mexicans are an ethnically diverse people.
The Mexicans are made up of native Americans and European immigrants.

Japanese people consist of people who are 95.5% of Japanese origin.
The Japanese people have the longest life expectancy in the world.

Saudis (Saudi Arabians) speak three variations of Arabic.
The Saudis come from a variety of regions.

In the examples quoted by a grammar site,
Please give details of said grammar site, and then somebody will address your question.

Sorry, I know I should have shared the website. However, I did not want to sort of advertise it. I thought that would be inappropriate :) It is https://www.grammar-quizzes.com/art-nationality.html

By the way, maybe in the example below, it says a group of Saudis. However, it was not noticeable in the others.

The Saudis come from a variety of regions

It doesn't say a group of Saudis. Instead, it's talking about Saudis in general.

That website has got it wrong, I'm afraid.

The initial "the" in all the bolded sentences is not required (assuming the reference to such nationalities is a general one - i.e. not to a specific group within any of those nationalities).

This is a complicated area. Perhaps we could take one case at a time.

Mexicans are an ethnically diverse people.

I don't really like this. I think the sentence is better with the, since it's not a generalisation but a statement of fact. The article serves to specify the people as an identifiable cultural/national group in contrast to other groups. Compare it to this:

Mexicans like spicy food.

This sentence is better without an article, as it's just a simple generalisation.

The Japanese (people) have the longest life expectancy in the world.

As with the first sentence above, this is a good example of using the to talk about a cultural/national group in contrast to other groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back