Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
which is correct??

In Dr. Smith's report, he said John had headaches as at the time of writing.

In Dr. Smith's report on John, he said John had headaches as of the time of writing.

which is correct??

In Dr. Smith's report, he said John had headaches as at the time of writing.

In Dr. Smith's report on John, he said John had headaches as of the time of writing.
'at'. The terms 'as of', 'as at' are ambiguous and best avoided completely.

Here, both sound more or less correct in that we do hear them, but as Ray says, they don't sound very good.

They're not ambiguous in this case. But when you have a sentence like "We've raised $300 as of last Saturday", it can mean "up until last Saturday" or "since last Saturday".
"As at" is not so bad as "as of", but I still can't see the need for it.

There may be some regional difference, then, Ray.

If someone said "We've raised $300 as of last Saturday," for me, that would only mean that "The last time I checked was Saturday, and on that day, we had raised $300, but it may be more than that now."

There may be some regional difference, then, Ray.
Yes, perhaps.
If someone said "We've raised $300 as of last Saturday," for me, that would only mean that "The last time I checked was Saturday, and on that day, we had raised $300, but it may be more than that now."
Here it tends to mean 'since'.
"As of our last conversation, your work hasn't improved at all!"

as of

1. (idiomatic) from, on or at a specified time All leave is cancelled as of now.as of - Wiktionary
Preposition: as of
  1. From that time
    - since
    http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/ASOF

as of, beginning on; on and after; from: This price is effective as of June 23.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/as

and more ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back