Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I refused, as I was tired as it is/was.

Which one, 'as it is' or 'as it was', should be used in a sentence of this kind? Do we have to make the tenses agree? I personally would use 'as it was'. Just need a second opinion. Much appreciation in advance.

Unfortunately, neither of the alternatives makes much sense at the end of that sentence.

Click here to see how the phrases are used in a variety of contexts (and bookmark the site for future reference).

Last edited:
The meaning is 'already'. I just need the tense ('is' or 'was').

Try this one:

I'm not buying the children anything else today - I've spent far too much money as it is.

Here is another example:

We should not be raising the debt ceiling; we are spending way too much money as it is, and that is what the Tea Party stands for.

Last edited:
Just came across this:

Why would he be feigning an injury? He was exhausted as it is and was clattered hard.

Is this correct English?

I'd say 'as it was' in that context.

Rover_KE,

what about this sentence here - He was exhausted as it is and was clattered hard? Is 'as it is' incorrect?

What on earth does "he ... was clattered hard" mean? Where did you find that bizarre sentence?

This thread is to cover the phrase 'as it is' only. As regards the use of the verb 'clatter', here is an example for you from the Internet: Coyle’s first real involvement left him needing lengthy treatment after he was clattered when competing for a high ball, although he did receive the all-clear to continue (link).

Here is another one: Balogun was clattered hard and had to be treated for several minutes on the pitch before the dazed-looking former Wigan man was substituted (by Jonathan McFarlane).

Go figure.

Last edited:
Just came across this sentence online:

It was a night flight so we were exhausted as it was and ,,,

I guess it's OK to make the tenses agree when using 'as it is' in the sense of 'already'.

Last edited:
I guess it's OK to make the tenses agree when using 'as it is'
If you insist on using that rather unnatural sentence, Rover has already told you he'd use 'as it was' in a similar sentence.

I am not insisting on using that particular sentence. I was just trying to get a second opinion on the use of 'as it is/ as it was' in the sense of 'already'. It took some time, but it was worth it, I guess.

A possible context for that sentence ('I refused, as I was tired as it was') is as follows: a friend invites a guy who has played soccer that day to go to the gym for a workout; the guy is tired so he refuses.

Here's a sentence by a person named Amy:

I wake up at 5:30 to workout and I really cannot add too much time as I am exhausted as it is. (link)

Compare it with mine:

I refused as I was tired as it was.

Also, not sure if a comma needs to be used before 'as' in that sentence (another grey area in English).

As a rule, I'd use "as it is" when talking about a present situation and "as it was" when talking about the past.

I don't want to go out tonight. I'm absolutely knackered as it is!
I didn't want to play tennis on Tuesday morning. I'd played five times in the previous week as it was!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back